What is a Root Canal?
A root canal is the space within the root of a tooth, consisting of the pulp chamber, the main canals, and intricate branches that may connect to each other or the root of the tooth. Root canal infections can be painful and dangerous and should be treated by a Ponte Vedra Dentist trained and experienced in Endodontics, like Dr. Chiafair. If you have tooth pain, don’t put off seeing us. Waiting can make the situation worse, especially when a tooth is compromised.
When the tooth is treatable and restorable, Dr. Chiafair removes the damaged and infected parts from the canal inside the root. This area is then cleaned, filled and sealed. You’ll find we are able to make this procedure absolutely painless. Occasionally a tooth will not be restorable, and we will suggest other options.
Teeth become infected or “die” for several possible reasons:
- Infection when bacteria invades the inner part of the tooth
- Trauma injury that causes inflammation or cracks a tooth
- Fillings placed too near the inner chamber of the tooth
One-Visit Root Canals in Ponte Vedra
Dr. Chiafair has performed countless root canals and alternative procedures. We do everything possible to save the natural tooth if at all possible. Sometimes we find the infection is too widespread or the tooth is “dying”, in which case we will discuss alternative therapies that may include crowns, bridges or dental implants, but only if necessary and with your approval.
What are the symptoms that indicate I might need a root canal?
- Lingering toothache that is moderate or severe
- Sensitivity to hot or cold foods
- Pain when chewing or biting
- Gum swelling that may release blood or pus
- Pain that seems to come from a whole region of the jaw instead of a particular tooth
- Fever associated with tooth or facial pain
Ponte Vedra Dental can perform the root canal procedure in one visit and with minimal or no pain. To schedule an appointment, please call us at (904)240-4347.